We’re only one week away from Halloween. I’m sure you’ve met some of the ghosts and ghouls hanging around in the supermarkets and shops. For many this is a time of dressing up, playing tricks on friends and family, but most importantly, gorging on copious amounts of sweets, chocolates and snacks. No Halloween would be complete without this notorious mix of tricks and treats at this festive time of year.
So with Halloween and Christmas following soon after, its of paramount importance to keep your costs low, to ensure you enjoy both festive periods to their fullest. My aim here is to help you reduce your costs on sweets and snacks, so the kids and family alike can enjoy cheaper and healthier treats, whilst avoiding unhealthy and expensive supermarket foods. Plus, how you can save money on your costumes with some discount vouchers from CostumeBox.com.au. So make this Halloween different from all the rest, ignore the boring and expensive shop sweets and try some of these creative treats, in your new costume.
This post will be looking at how you can make your own scary chattering teeth or devil spider eggs, to a spooky Halloween evening pizza. If this isn’t the time of year when you can play with your food, I don’t know what is.
Spicy Spider Devil Eggs: These scary treats will not only make the kids believe they could only be home to tarantulas, but are also relatively healthy. You can make as many as you wish, but for our example we used;
- 12 eggs
- 6 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 can of whole black olives
(1) Hard boil the eggs and peel the shells off. Cut the eggs in half, remove the yolks and place yolks into a bowl. (2) Mix the boiled yolks with the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. (3) Next, fill the whites with your new yolk mixture and then sprinkle the cayenne pepper over the top of them. Try to place the eggs in the fridge for three hours to cool and allow the yolk to re-set. (4) Then slice the black olives into half, place one half on top of the egg, which will act as the spider’s body and slice the other half into thin strips to make the spiders legs. Say hello to your spicy, healthy Halloween snack.
Scary Chattering Teeth: This recipe only requires three ingredients, which are:
- Red apples
- Peanut butter
(1) Begin by cutting the red apples into thin slices length way, leaving a bit of apple skin on the outer side. (This will act as the lips) (2) Spread peanut butter across the top of half of the apple slices. (3) Next chop up the marshmallows to be teeth shape and stick the marshmallow teeth into the peanut butter. (4) To finish off, spread peanut butter on the remaining half of the apple slices and stick them on top of the marshmallow teeth. The end result should look like chattering teeth. To give the affect blood you could also spread small bits strawberry/raspberry jam onto the teeth.
Clementine Celery Pumpkins: When making entertaining looking food, you know it’s much easier to get the kids to eat it, so the fact that they are healthy makes the whole thing even more worthwhile. These little pumpkins take no time at all to make either. All you need are
- Clementines or Oranges
- Celery stalks
Then the amount of fun is up to you, you can either peel the top of the clementines or oranges and stick half-inch celery sticks out of the top and then draw faces onto the skins of the fruits. Alternatively, you can peel the fruits entirely and do the same with the celery. Let us know if you come up with any other interesting ideas, by letting us know in the comments section below.
Jack-O-Lantern Sandwiches: These cheese sandwiches are one of the easiest and most festive snacks you can make plus, they will take no time at all. Your ingredients are
- White bread
- Cheddar cheese slices (Of course, choose a vegan options if you need to)
(1) Begin by placing the cheese slices on top of the bread, then use a square cookie cutter to cut them into a series of squares. (A sharp knife will also do the trick) (2) Then take each cheese slice square and begin making creative Jack-O-Lantern patterns on them. (3) Whilst doing this you can toast the bread squares. When toasted, place the cheese back on the bread and they are ready to serve.
Spooky Thriller Pizza: Create your scariest dinner yet, combining fun and fear all into the same delicious pizza. Your ingredients for this recipe will be:
- 6 ciabatta rolls
- Pizza sauce or tomato puree
- Mozzarella cheese (or vegan alternative)
- Olive oil
- Toppings (Olives and pepperoni)
(1) Begin by pre-heating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then cut the ciabatta rolls into half to look like an oval or square face, this will depend on the shape of your rolls. (2) Spread the pizza sauce / tomato puree onto the bread, add a pinch of salt and then mozzarella cheese on top. (3) Then slice the olives to create the shapes of eyes and eyebrows and follow by cutting the pepperoni to look like the shape of a mouth or sharp teeth. Add these shapes on top of the bread rolls and place in the oven. You only need to wait for the cheese to start melting and your pizzas are ready to eat. Enjoy.
If you have enjoyed any of the snacks above or have some you would like to share, then please let us know in the comments below so other readers can benefit from your snacks.
But once the cooking fun is over, its time to head out and begin trick or treating in your neighbourhood. So if you’re still in need of a costume, I’ve done a quick scan and found a selection of discount codes available over on Costume Box's Vouchers page here on Buckscoop:
- Free black or red thigh highs with either a green/red satin bow with any leg avenue orders (expires in 2 weeks)
- 20% off orders over $100 with newsletter sign up (code sent to you via email)
It's also worth nothing that Costume Box is currently running promo offering free delivery for this weekend only (end's Sunday, 26th October, at midnight). This saves you having to pay the standard shipping fee of $9.99. If your order is over $69, however, you'll get express shipping thrown in for free. More than enough reasons to scan through their outfits and accessories to find yourself a bargain for this Halloween.