Afterpay is a convenient online payment method that enables shoppers to buy products, but pay for them in four instalments, interest free. It's the perfect option for people who don't want to shell out the full amount at the time of purchase, or who might have limited funds but don't want to miss a hot sale.
How To Use Afterpay?
1. Sign up at Afterpay to register an account. The process is quick and easy; all you need are your personal details and a current Australian credit or debit card to link your account to. The process is instant and requires no paperwork. Sign up here.
2. Use Afterpay to buy products:
- Online - select Afterpay at checkout and you'll be redirected to the Afterpay site (much like when you use PayPal). Afterpay will quickly divide your total purchase amount into four equal payments and schedule them across an eight-week payment window. Confirm your order and wait for your goodies to arrive! (Your first payment is made at the time of purchase.)
- In-Store - use the Afterpay app to request the amount you wish to spend in the store. Upon approval, which is immediate, you will get get a unique barcode that can be scanned at the register to buy your goods. Like online payments, you'll pay your purchase off in four equal instalments. (Note, barcodes expire if unused in ten minutes.)
3. Make your payments fortnightly via direct debit until the order is paid off. Missed payments incur a $10 late fee.
Australia's Top Afterpay Stores:
There are in excess of 2000 Afterpay stores in Australia, with participation growing all the time. Check out our top picks below.
Department Stores & Online Marketplaces:
Fashion, Jewellery & Accessories:
- Ally Fashion
- Best & Less
- City Chic
- Cotton On
- Country Road
- French Connection
- Hello Molly
- Lorna Jane
- Just Jeans
- Michael Hill
- Noni B
- Peter Alexander
- Princess Polly
- Ray Ban
- Sass & Bide
- Sunglass Hut
- Surf, Dive N Ski
- THE ICONIC
Beauty & Hair
- Adore Beauty
- Bobby Brown
- Estee Lauder
- Nude By Nature
- Skincare Store
Home & Garden:
- Bed, Bath & Table
- Fantastic Furniture
- Harris Scarfe
- Peters of Kensington
- Robins Kitchen
- Temple & Webster
Toys, Games & Stationery:
Kids' & Baby Stores:
- ABC Shop
- Babies R Us
- Baby Bunting
- Baby & Toddler Town
- Carters OshKosh
- Cotton On Kids
- Pure Baby
- Shoes & Sox
Sports & Outdoor:
- Bump Shoes
- New Balance
- Rubi (by Cotton On)
- Spend-Less Shoes
- The Athlete's Foot
- Tony Bianco
Afterpay works a lot like a credit card, but with some other tricks and added conveniences up its sleeve, like no interest! Naturally, there can be a lot of questions around the topic of payment methods, so we've dug up some answers for you.
Is it FREE to join Afterpay?
Yes! Joining costs nothing, and there are no on-going fees either. The only fees you will ever pay are for missing a payment, where you are charged $10, and an additional $7 a week after that.
Is Afterpay interest free?
Yes, Afterpay won't charge you interest on your purchases, but bear in mind, you may have to pay interest on your nominated credit card, so be sure to check that out.
When do I make my first payment?
At the time of purchase you will have to pay the first 25% of the order amount immediately. So, make sure you have available funds!
Can I make payments early?
Yes. It's as simple as logging into your account and making the payment whenever you wish. There is no penalty for paying early, only for paying late.
How many orders can I have with Afterpay?
If you're a first-time shopper using Afterpay, you can only have one order on the go in your first 24 hours as an account holder. After that point you can have multiple orders running at once provided you keep up to date with your payments. Afterpay will decline an order if you've missed payments or have too many scheduled payments.
What happens if my linked card is lost or stolen?
You can add an additional (or backup) card to your account at any time. If you don't have another card to add and have no payment due within the coming fortnight, you can wait, and add your new card once you receive it. If there is a payment due soon, contact Afterpay to make alternative arrangements.
How much can I spend with Afterpay?
Afterpay looks at the repayment habits of shoppers to determine what orders are approved and how much you can spend, so each case is different.
How do returns work with Afterpay?
The first thing to consider is the store's returns policy; be sure you can return the item. Once a return has been processed by a store, Afterpay is automatically notified, and your payment schedule is updated, whether it's a total or partial refund. (Fully refunded items will display as "paid" on Afterpay.)
Is Afterpay a safe payment method?
Afterpay uses the highest level of security available to safely handle customers' data, so you can rest assured your account comes with a large amount of protection. You can read more about Afterpay's security policies here.