Food Booze & Groceries
Wombat Hill Chardonnay 2005 - $39.95 @ Catch of the Day
Case of 6 High Grade Wombat Hill "Magnums"
Please note: A "standard" wine bottle is 750mL but a "Magnum" is a bottle that is twice the size, 1.5 litres. Today's Catch is phenomenal value, Exclusive to COTD members, you get SIX Full Size "MAGNUMS", (9 Litres of wine) for only $39.95.
Normally retailing for $25 per 1.5L magnum, todays top notch Export Chardonnay is a premium selection coming to you at a ridiculously low Catch of the Day exclusive price of just $6.60 per magnum - Equivalent to $3.30 per bottle! With the festive season around the corner, there's no better time to stock up - and impress the relatives with a top vintage while you're at it.
The Wombat Hill label initially targeted the U.S. market with a bright, in your face 'critter' label. The wines were sourced from the warm grape-growing regions of inland Australia where the climate produces styles that have been described as 'sunshine in a bottle'. A change to a more conservative label in 2006 (one that would be more suited to the U.K. and European markets) meant that some stock remained under the old label. We have been lucky enough to secure the last of the 2005 Chardonnay magnums (perfect for when one bottle is not enough!) at an incredible price.
The blend was put together under the watchful eye of winemaker Roland Kaval (ex St Leonards and Warrenmang) and the quality belies its humble origins. His comments about the wine are "2005 was a coolish year in the Riverina and the Chardonnay fruit came in with excellent flavour with a good level of natural acid. The winemaking process was kept simple, long temperature controlled fermentation to maximise the fruit aromatics and a prolonged period on yeast lees to increase flavour complexity. The wine was given a lick of American oak to impart some vanilla and spice. The final outcome is a wine that shows a degree of elegance - not the 'Dolly Parton' style of Chardonnay that too often is produced in the irrigation regions. Obviously being in a magnum has meant slower development and the wine is now hitting its straps, but will hold for another couple of years. I'd be pulling the cork on it this Summer and enjoying it with some chicken or fish shasliks on the barbie while watching the Boxing Day Test"
* Colour: Medium gold with a green tinge.
* Nose: Fruit aromatics in the citrus/guava spectrum. Some hints of honeycomb and vanilla
* Palate: Medium bodied, rich warm palate with nectarine and spice flavours and hints of roasted nuts. The palate shows spicy oak influences and has good length of flavour with lingering crisp acidity
* A wine that can be enjoyed now or cellared for 1-3 years to gain more complexity.
* Volume: 1.5l per bottle
o 13.4% alc/vol
o 6.0 grams/litre titratable acid
o pH 3.26
o 3.6 grams/litre residual sugar
o 100% Riverina
Enjoy in moderation and don't drink and drive (or you might spill your wine).
- 66° - Woolworths - latest 1/2 price weekly deals out now.
- 43° - Under Armour Men's Charged Bandit 2 Running Shoes with Probikekit discount code for $87.99 delivered (vs. up to $179.99 elsewhere)
- 30° - Mid Season Sale at Dissh - Up to 70% off - Styles from $20 a pop
- 30° - BCF - 20% off the entire store this weekend (starts 25.03.2017) and ends 27.03.2017.
- 28° - eBay - $30 off $100 or more spend at Sportscraft, Saba, Jag, Sunglasshut, Boohoo, Citybeach, Styletread and much more. Minimum spend $100.